Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Paladar La Guarida, Havana, Cuba





















Paladar La Guarida in Havana, Cuba is the place where the famous movie "Fresa y Chocolate" was filmed. Since then it has become one of the hottest places in town. So when I went to Havana, La Guarida was on the top of my list!

My expectations were very high, since I read all the reviews on websites like Tripadvisor, Lonely planet, The New York Times, etc.
To my surprise La Guarida had its own website, which was even available in English (not very common in Cuba). I booked a table on-line and counted the days until my departure!

The hotel warned me to take a cab, because the restaurant is located in a poor neighbourhood. But nothing could have prepared me for the entrance to La Guarida's building... it felt like I walked into a movie.
I won't reveal too much though... so you can experience it yourself!

It is an amazing place... with absolutely gorgeous interiors... wonderful food (certainly for Cuban standards): fresh vegetables, salad, honey-mustard chicken, pork, seafood... My first visit was over lunch and the chef surprised me with a 'mean' pasta al limone e vodka. Wow!

The lovely lady who served me, Antonieta, spoke perfect English; she told me to come back at night for a more romantic atmosphere. So I did... and was not disappointed! By the way, if you go at night, ask for a table on the balcony.

La Guarida became right then and there one of my favourite restaurants... not just in Cuba, but in the world!!!
Really, I fell completely in love with La Guarida and didn't want to leave! What a pity that it is so far away from where I live...

Paladar La Guarida
Concordia No.418 /Gervasio y Escobar
Havana
Cuba

Tel: +53 7 866-9047
Website: www.laguarida.com 
(The website is not always available)

No comments:

Post a Comment